segunda-feira, 26 de agosto de 2013

Metal Gear Replay

Metal Gear is possibly my favorite video game series of all time. I haven't had the chance to play MGS4 yet though, because I haven't had access to a PS3. Until now.


Since I haven't played the games for a while, what better idea than going through all of them again in the canon's chronological order all the way up to MGS4, right in time for the release of MGSV?

After beating MGS3 back in 2006, I played through the whole thing again, this time on the PS3 HD Collection, and it looks absolutely gorgeous, it'll definitely be a pain to ever go back to the PS2 version again. And to think it was supposed to be a PS3 game at the time, but the technology was still a couple years late. I'm glad it's a PS2 game, it really squeezes the 1999 hardware in an impressive way.

Then I played a few hours of Peace Walker on the PS3, but I think I'll just leave it for another time. The game's great, but it is indeed pretty big and there are too many variables to mess around with at the MSF base. Skipped it, moved on to MGS1.

Even though I hadn't played MGS1 for nearly a decade, it's amazing how I still had everything in my head, because really, the game is so memorable. But I had a blast playing through it again, it is very well crafted and was an amazing graphical achievement for the PS1 as well. I didn't remember the details of the storyline very well and I was surprised about the way it went; I was actually expecting some plotholes or some things that wouldn't make sense moving on to MGS2 or related to MGS3, but it addresses everything pretty well.

Moving on to MGS2, which is the one I've replayed the most, and I'm currently playing at the moment, I thought the mechanics would feel outdated compared to MGS3, but not very much at all, it still plays very well to this day. Playing the PS2 version (Substance) because I only had Sons of Liberty back when I was a kid. I could play the PS3 version but, unlike MGS3, there isn't much difference of gorgeousness between playing on a CRT and on an LCD.

I thought I wouldn't enjoy MGS2 as much as I enjoyed MGS1, but I guess I was wrong. It's actually more fun than the picture I drew of it during all these years of not picking it up. I'm using the HD Collection to play the Alternative and VR Missions and they're pretty fun, once you start them you can't stop. And this comes from someone who usually doesn't go on side quests or extra stuff because there are so many games and so little time.

Also, them skateboards.

Fucking Kojima, man.

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário